They'll give a blog to anybody.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Greetings From Uncle Sam

Tax season is officially here.

Since 2004, I have worked at a local income tax office. I spend about 3 nights a week there, from January through April 15th, doing other people's taxes. It's a nice change from my regular job where nothing ever comes to an end. I get to finish something everytime I send a tax return to the IRS. I also meet a variety of people that are very different from those at my regular job.

In the cube farm where I spend most of my waking hours, everyone haspretty much the same background. At least educationally. In the tax office, almost everyone I meet has a different educational, economic, and social situation than me. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. It's a good reminder that not everyone is like me. It helps put things in perspective and keeps me grounded.

The two major benefits of the tax job are the other employees and the extra income. The people are great. It's a family run operation and some the owners and staff have become friends. The extra income is great. I get an hourly rate and a bonus at the end of the season based on the returns I complete. The job starts up right after the holiday season when money can sometimes be a little tight. My wife started working there a year before I did. She saved her paychecks from the tax season and went on a trip with her sister with the money she earned. I liked the idea of having some money for something extra, so I started working there the next year. My goal, every year, is to use my tax income to buy something I really need, like a 5th electric guitar, or a 3rd electric bass. I've got my eye on a Fender Telecaster and a Fender Jazz Bass. Last year, I bought an Ipod. It was just a little Shuffle, but it works for me.

Anyway... about tax season being here.

I went in to the tax office a few minutes early to have a cup of coffee and check email. The other preparers were with clients and the phone was ringing. I sat down at my desk to take the call. The next thing I knew, it was three hours later and I had done something like five returns. I got a chance to stand up and say to our processing person "Wow, it's busy today"! Then I had to go right back to take the next client. Because it had been raining all day, I had thought I would have a nice slow, three hour shift. I ended up having an almost five hour shift where I think I doubled the total number of returns I've done this season. Apparently, everyone has their W-2s and those getting refunds want the money. We'll see the people not getting refunds in April.

It's time to get out the music store catalog and my highlighter. I think I'm going to have a good bonus this year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy D. said...

And SOMEPLACE is having a sale... THIS WEEKEND.

And I need to get my butt in there to do a few returns.

Or sit there and knit....

1/31/2006 8:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home