They'll give a blog to anybody.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Lemming, Oscar® Lemming

I haven't had time to read much today, but I'm sure there are many blog posts about last night's Academy Awards® show. Here's another.

I wasn't really into the nominated movies this year. I think the only nominated film I saw was 'March of the Penguins'. We got the DVD last Christmas and watched the whole thing on Christmas Day. We watched the film, the documentary about making the film, and everything else on the disc. We all enjoyed it very much. I was happy to see it win. I will probably watch 'Walk the Line' when it comes out on home video or cable. I might see Capote on TV at some point in the future, if there is nothing else to watch. For the most part, I didn't really care who won or lost. Basically, I just watched the show as a standalone program.

I like Jon Stewart. I enjoy his style of comedy. He is one of the few performers that can make me laugh out loud on a regular basis. I was looking forward to seeing how his style would translate to the live stage of the Oscars®. I think the set piece at the beginning of the show where a host was introduced and declined to work was great. The part when it got to Jon Stewart in bed with Halle Berry and then George Clooney was hilarious. It also reminded me why I like George Clooney. He has a wonderful sense of dry and self deprecating humor.

Personally, I enjoyed Jon Stewart's performance and thought he did a good job of hosting the show. Unfortunately, it appeared the live audience didn't "get" him. Several times, he made comments that would have had the audience for his own show roaring, but the crowd last night was fairly quiet. I imagine he won't be asked back. That's too bad, because he is a funny man. He also seemed to keep the show closer to being on time than I can remember in past years.

Maybe the people in the audience just weren't used to his humor and will think it was funnier when they look back on it and have time to think about what he was saying. I've heard the saying 'If you have to draw a picture, it's not funny'. But, he was funny. I think it was the crowd. After all, they were, mostly, just actors.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy D. said...

I think they were afraid to laugh. Cause I bet they pee their pants laughing when watching him in the privacy of their living room. Or bedroom....

But they were just waiting to get skewered themselves. Jon Stewart is an equal opportunity skewer-er. You never know when he's gonna turn and rip on 'you'!

3/07/2006 8:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home