They'll give a blog to anybody.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Maybe It's Me

I just got back from our annual pilgrimage to back to school night at the elementary school. Mrs. Dirpus said she cringes every year when the topic of homework comes up, because she knows I'm going to attack the teacher about my personal windmill. I say I'm not attacking. I'm trying to make a point and continue to hold out hope that, some year, somebody will get it. It seems like an obvious point to me. But teachers never seem to get it. Oh, and the Mrs. says she doesn't disagree with my point, it's just that it's not going to change. Maybe I'm an optimist. Or maybe it's the nature of my job to try to improve the process.

Here it is. What do you think? Am I way off base with this.

If a student doesn't do their homework, they get a note sent home and must do the homework the following night. However, they will not get any credit for that homework. Every year, my question is "What is the child's motivation to make up the homework?" There's no carrot at the end of the teacher's stick. They are already getting zero for not doing the homework. They can make it up and still get zero. I know I wouldn't be doing it. Heck, give them 10%. At least there is SOME incentive.

I continue to hope that some teacher will realize the idiocy of what they are saying. These are kids after all. They're selfish. They aren't going to do anything without getting something in return. I remember choosing a spanking over eating boiled spinach when I was a kid. I still think it was the smart choice. It's not like I still had to eat the spinach. It's the same thing to me.

Opinions?

6 Comments:

Blogger agent713 said...

As one who d.e.t.e.s.t.e.d. homework and got through on in- class participation only, I'm on your side. There is no incentive so why bother.

Keep up the lobbying. Some year someone will agree.

~Heidi

7/28/2006 6:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also agree. Just knock the grade down. A B or C is better than a F. Even a C or D is better than a F. How stupid!!
ced - ex teacher

7/28/2006 10:57 AM

 
Blogger Nancy D. said...

Y'all need to contribute to the Dirpus For School Board campaign.

7/29/2006 9:04 PM

 
Blogger Martha in CA said...

I'm not sure I know anyone that will do anything if there isn't some sort of payoff.

If you're doing homework just to be doing it, and no credit will be given, what's the point?

I'm in your school district. I'd vote for you. And I know just the school board member I'd like to see you replace!

7/29/2006 9:28 PM

 
Blogger Sue said...

Lone voice of dissent.

You get the zero because you failed to do the work.

You have to still do the work because you still need to learn the skill at hand to move on to the next step.

In my room, do it or don't...still a zero. But those who DO end up being fine later on. Those who DON'T end up failing.

8/03/2006 5:04 PM

 
Blogger Dirpus said...

Sue - I understand your point. But I still think elementary grade kids will see "because you need to learn this" as a motivation to do work they didn't do in the first place. There is no tangible reason for them to do it.

Now in the olden days when the teachers and principal could beat them, I think it was easier to get students to do something. I don't think they see any reason to to make up the work.

Of course, I was always the one that didn't do the homework and got A's on tests. I didn't see a need for me to do homework. I saw it as something for people that didn't understand the subject.

8/03/2006 5:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home