They'll give a blog to anybody.

Friday, December 22, 2006

What The Heck Am I Thinking?

This is for Martha, who can't wait for the next installment of this soap opera.

I got my list of things I have to do and forms I have to complete as part of my out processing from my old job. I'm looking forward to just having to go to one job per day. It'll seem like a vacation. Although, I am burning up some of my vacation time at the old job today, so I only have to go to the new one. Woohoo!

The interesting part is it seems my old company is having a difficult time finding someone to replace me. They can't find anyone with my qualifications that will work for an amount that fits within my current bill rate. Not my current salary, my current bill rate. I guess the going rate for my skills is higher than what I've been getting paid for the last few years. Hence, the reason I changed jobs. My boss called me yesterday to see if he could talk me into staying. We agreed I would stay for $1 million per year.

Like the joke says, we've established that I'm a whore. Now we're just haggling over price.

Right after that, we talked about me coming back part time as a consultant until they can find someone to fill my spot permanently. I'm a nice guy. I'm willing to help out. But I ain't cheap no more. I'm already staying around until the end of the year, at my old salary, to give them a chance to find someone. That has cost me quite a bit of money. I'm only working part time at the new, higher paying, job for now.

Here's some advice for everyone. Don't change jobs at Christmas time. The extra stress isn't fun. I also think it's not such a great idea to quit the old job after you've already started the new job, unless you're on terminal leave.

2 Comments:

Blogger Martha in CA said...

For MEEEEEEEEE???!!!

And I took so long to read it, I was treated to two entries!

So. About consulting for the old company...whatever the going-rate is, plus 25%. You don't come easy, and you don't come quick. If they're lucky, you'll come. They shouldda stroked you sooner.

You whore.

12/28/2006 3:17 PM

 
Blogger Nancy D. said...

Martha knows whoring.....

1/02/2007 7:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home