They'll give a blog to anybody.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Proud Papa

Last night I had a glimpse of what I thought being a parent would be like. I love my kids and they are both unique. They just aren't into the same things as me. I had always thought my kids would play sports. I imagined them going to college on sports scholarships, not art, science, or whatever they might be good at and want to pursue. Anyway, about last night...

It's homecoming week at my oldest daughter's high school. She decided she wanted to play in the powder puff football game this year. Last year she didn't play. After watching the game she thought it looked like a lot of fun.

All the girls have been practicing after school for the last two weeks, and last night was the big payoff. The Freshmen and Sophomores played against the Juniors (they'll have seniors next year). You could tell they were all excited out there on the field of the big stadium, under the lights, with the stands full. some of their classmates were shirtless and had painted themselves blue and red. Some of the boys were the cheerleaders and had pink shirts and black skirts. They are braver men than I.

The game started and K got on the field as the starting cornerback for her team. She was intense and focused and stayed right with the girl she was supposed to cover all night.



She broke up a few passes and dove to try to make plays. I told her before the game that even though I had played football for three years in high school and one year in college that after the game, she would have more playing time in career than I did in mine.






After the game, I could see in her eyes that she is now a football player. I'm so proud.





Oh, you probably wonder how the game turned out.

The Soph-men (they picked it out) ran a 52 yard reverse for a touchdown with 6.7 seconds left to win the game 7-0 (I took the picture before the extra point was kicked).

3 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

Go K!!!!

Pictures? Nance sent me one on my cell, but I couldn't make it out...

10/05/2006 6:40 AM

 
Blogger Dirpus said...

Pictures are coming. I have 5 that I have resized for blogger. My computer crashed and I'm waiting for it to finish rebooting. They will be added to this blog post shortly.

10/05/2006 6:48 AM

 
Blogger Nancy D. said...

(She's #27) And Stace... it was a picture of a goat.

10/05/2006 11:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home