They'll give a blog to anybody.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Fore!

I thought things would calm down after tax season finished. The only thing that slowed down was the number of tax returns I prepared. Everything else seemed to sense the available time a sucked it right up. The real job has been crazy for... I don't know, it's all just a blur.

Anyway. I had my allotment of hours for the 2 week pay period used up by early last Thursday afternoon. I left work a couple of hours after that. I took Friday off since I couldn't bill a client and my company wasn't going to pay me for the time. Thursday night, I was talking to Mrs. Dirpus and decided to go play some golf early Friday morning. She was going to go to her gym and I could use the exercise. I figured I would walk and play a fast nine holes.

I got to the golf course a little before 7:00 AM and it was pretty deserted. I didn't see anyone waiting to start. When I came out of the pro shop after paying for round I saw two old men just driving up to the first tee. They were no where around when I went into the pro shop. I almost went home right then. I had visions of my nice relaxing walk around the golf course turning into a major stress event as a quick 90 minute round turned into a 3 hour round of waiting for the old guys before I could hit EVERY shot. They asked me if I wanted to join them. I refrained from saying "No. I want to play in front of you." Darned golf etiquette.

It started just like I thought it would. I had to wait to hit every shot on the first hole. My stress was building,so I made an executive decision to remove myself from the situation. The second and third holes were short par threes that go down and back the course. I just walked right on past them to the fourth hole. It was like the scene from the movie "Days of Thunder" where Tom Cruise passes everyone to take over first place in the race. All you see is open road and no one to get in your way. I had the whole rest of the golf course to myself and my stress disappeared. I played six more holes of speed golf and finished up about 7:45. I didn't care about only playing seven holes. It was my first time out for the year and I didn't want to over do it.

I played pretty well, except for that 9 on the fourth hole. I played the other six holes in 3 over par. I had a birdie and a couple of pars. I'll take that almost any time. Considering I was playing golf as an aerobic sport, it was not a bad score at all.

I DID miss driving the cart. That's always fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home