They'll give a blog to anybody.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

One of my co-workers has a pilot's license and is going out to practice some instrument approaches this afternoon. He has to do so many every 6 months to keep his rating current. He asked if I wanted to go with him. My schedule is open, so sure! Sounds like fun.

He came over to my desk a little while ago and asked if I wanted to fly one of the approaches, possibly the GPS approach. I had planned on just going along for the ride, but okay. We went over the approach chart for that runway so I'd have a feel for it ahead of time.

This should be interesting. I haven't even flown a simulator in years. I'm starting to get a little nervous. I hope I can keep the stupid plane level. Let's review...

I think it goes like this.

Step on the ball.
Steer to the bar. Is it the same for the glide slope? Uh oh.

Gravity is 32.2 feet per second squared.
The approach starts at 1400 feet.
Take the derivative, carry the 2...

This could hurt.

When I told Mrs. Dirpus about flying today, she asked if this flight constituted a business trip. Gotta love that double indemnity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home